Newsela is an online news-as-literacy platform that features high-interest articles on everything from current events to myths and legends and from literature to science. With Newsela, teachers get to pick the content that works best for their students. School and district leaders rest easy knowing it’s all vetted and aligned to standards. It’s a win-win.
In this article
Who Has Access
Teacher and students 3rd-8th premium subscription
- Teacher and students K-2nd free version
- Teacher and students 9th-12th free version
- Premium Subscription: 3rd-8th grade students and teachers have access to the premium version of Newsela. This access provides all of the features within the free version while adding the ability to grade student work and download data.
- Free Version: K-2nd, 9th-12th grade students and teachers have access to the free version of Newsela. This access only provides the ability to view resources and assign student work.
How To Access
Teachers can access Newsela from Clever anytime by logging into their Clever account and clicking on the icon from their portal.
1. Go to Clever.
2. Click Student & Teacher Login.
3. In your Clever Portal, click the Newsela icon.
If you have not used Newsela before, you will see an onboarding screen with several getting started steps.
You will be asked to select your classes to be synced
You can find articles by searching for keywords, topics, or subjects.
Click Search on the Search and Navigation bar.
Enter a keyword or subject.
Click ‘Search’. You will be directed to the results page that includes content from all of your Newsela subscriptions.
If your results are limited, try additional search terms.
Use filters to narrow your results:
How to Get Support with Your Account
Once you are logged into your Newsela account, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Help Center icon, to get support with missing resources or any other issues with your account.
Need More Info?
- For more information on how to implement Newsela curriculum resources, please reach out to the content leader or curriculum manager for your region.
- For support using Newsela visit the Newsela Help Center
- Click here to show your class how to login, Newsela: Student Guide
- Click here for how to login if you are a campus or HQ leader, Newsela: Leader Guide
- For support with Clever access issues, please submit a support request.
For additional tips visit the Newsela Help Center