A Service Tag another way of saying serial number. Every device issued by IDEA Public Schools is tracked using this unique ID.
It is helpful to know your service tag number when you are requesting a repair, conducting inventory or troubleshooting a specific device issue.
Locating your Service Tag (on device):
Refer to the examples below and locate the service tag on your device.
- Most IDEA laptops have a sticker or number printed to the bottom with model information and the Device service tag #.
- Most stickers are yellow but can be blue, white or another color. This depends on the vendor and year your device was purchased.
Locate the service tag/serial number on a Windows device (no sticker):
- Click on the Windows Start icon
- Type cmd (you will likely not have to finish typing both words)
- Click to open the Command Prompt screen.
- Type the following command wmic bios get serialnumber
- Press Enter and you will see the device Serial Number.
For instructions for locating your service tag on other typed of Dell products visit: https://www.dell.com/support/contents/en-us/category/product-support/self-support-knowledgebase/locate-service-tag